Chris E. Wiggins, M.D.
Wiggins is a general orthopaedist with particular experience in trauma
and the treatment of industrial injuries. He has considerable experience
in knee arthroscopy being the first physician on the Mississippi Gulf
Coast to perform that procedure, and he is one of a relatively few
orthopaedic surgeons certified to use the CO2 laser.
Dr. Wiggins also writes for both the medical and lay press. His most
recent book, Orthopaedic and Musculoskeletal Impairment Ratings: A
Concise Guide, is equally of interest to practitioners in the areas
of insurance and personal injury compensation as well as in the medical
field. It simplifies the complex task of assigning value and importance
In recent years, as a side interest, Dr. Wiggins has turned to inventing
and improving upon existing medical products. He is developer and co-patent
holder on an orthopaedic brace of his design in current use for hand
He maintains an active practice as a member of Bienville
Orthopaedic Specialists, LLC, the largest orthopaedic group in Mississippi.
A detailed listing of his credentials is as follows:
COLLEGE: University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas 1964-1967,
Bachelor of Science Degree 1969
MEDICAL SCHOOL: University of Arkansas School of Medicine, Little
Rock, Arkansas, 1967-June 13, 1971, M.D. Degree.
INTERNSHIP: Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, Texas. Straight
RESIDENCY: Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Arkansas School
of Medicine, September 1974-August 1977.
Adjunct Clinical Professor William Carey University College of Osteopathic
Medicine, Hattiesburg, MS
United States Air Force Captain, August 20, 1972-August 19, 1974; Chief
of General Therapy Clinic, 1973-1974.
Robert Key - 1971, for the highest academic standing among graduating
medical school seniors.
Outstanding Resident Teacher Award, Department of Orthopaedics, University
of Arkansas, 1977, Charter Recipient.
Alpha Epsilon Delta-honorary Premedical Society-1966
Alpha Omega Alpha-honorary Society-1970, President 1971
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, September 8, 1978
Arthroscopy Board of North America, November 21, 1989
American Board of Laser Surgery, October 6, 1990
Certified for use of CO2 Laser, 1990
Forensic Pathology - State Medical Examiner - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma,
July and August 1969
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Fellow, March 1, 1981
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, Fellow, Nov. 11,
- Singing River Medical Society
- Mississippi State Medical Association
- American Medical Association
- Southern Medical Association
- Mississippi Orthopaedic Society
- Southern Orthopaedic Association
- Singing River Hospital, Pascagoula, MS
PUBLICATIONS - MEDICAL
- The Pathology, Diagnosis and Medical-Legal Aspects of Death by Drowning,
Christopher E. Wiggins and James L. Luke, "Journal of the Oklahoma
State Medical Association", January, 1970.
- Pulmonary Embolus Prophylaxis in the Orthopaedic and Trauma Patient.
Chris E. Wiggins, "Journal of the Arkansas Medical Society",
- Double-Gloving, "Resident and Staff Physician", 23, 1:32s,
- Nafcillin, Cefazolin and Gentamycin Concentrations in Normal Bone.
Presented to the Orthopaedic Research Society, 44th annual meeting,
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Las Vegas, Nevada, February
- Antibiotic Concentration in Normal Bone, Chris E. Wiggins, "Orthopaedic
Transactions", 1, 2:205, November 1977.
- Concentration of Antibiotics in Normal Bone After Intravenous Injection;
Wiggins, et al. "Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery", 60-A:93,
- Beckwire for Passing Sutures Through Bone, Chris E. Wiggins, "Clinical
Orthopaedics", 154:320, March 1981.
- Pronator Syndrome. Chris E. Wiggins, M.D. "Southern Medical
Journal". 75, 2:240, February 1982.
- Office Video. Chris E. Wiggins, M.D. "Contemporary Orthopaedics",
71, 16:3, March 1988.
- A Useful Technique for Padding Slings and Hanging Arm Casts. "Surgical
Rounds for Orthopaedics". 59, 2:8, August 1988.
- Hearing Protection and Cast Saw Noise, Chris E. Wiggins and Karen
B. Read. "Journal of the Southern Orthopaedic Association."
5, 1:1 Spring 1996.
- Wiggins, C E: A Concise Guide to Orthopaedic and Musculoskeletal
Impairment Ratings. New York, Lippincott. 2006.
PUBLICATIONS - NONMEDICAL
- Newspaper Column: Mississippi Press, 14 articles from 1993-1995,
- Noblesse. (inspirational article), Seek Magazine, November 23, 1997.
- A Private Park. (inspirational article), Christian Medical and Dental
Society Healthwise, a special edition of Today's Christian Doctor
magazine. Vol 28, No. 5, p.32.
- Blood Feud. (a medical mystery thriller) Publisher: PublishAmerica.
- Move Up To An Aviary. (humorous how-to-do article) Bird Talk on-line
magazine. Bird Breeder. April 7, 2001. www.animalnetwork.com
- Caring Stories: Tales of Faith, Hope, and Inspiration by healthcare
workers and caregivers. (an anthology of medical-related stories).
Chris Wiggins, editor. PublishAmerica. September 2002.
- Cat Fancy, “A Cat Artist’s Retreat” Dec 2007,
- A Tale of (Two) Mississippi Cities: Pascagoula and Moss Point. Wiggins Communications Services. 2012.
- “Real Men Don’t Need Anesthesia: Dr. Porter and the Pascagoula Connection.” Journal of the Mississippi State Medical Association. August 2013.
- "What You Always Wanted To Know About Ocean Springs and Gautier, but.." Wiggins Communication Services. 2015.
- "A Maritime History of the Mississippi Coast" Wiggins Communication Services. 2016.
- Hand Brace for Boxer's Fractures. Co-inventor,
Tom Young, ATC, RPT. Marketed by AliMed, Dedham, Massachusetts. Patent
#D477,410 S and # 6,849,056 B1.
- Extremity Surgical Irrigation Basin. Pat. Pend. A basin for use in hospital
operating rooms, emergency rooms, and wound care services. It functions as a
support for the extremity as well as capturing the used irrigation fluid, creating a spill-free environment. Patent # D 607,557S
- Prefab Cast Window, E-Z Cast Window, Pat. Pend.
SERVICE AND COMMUNITY ORGANIZATIONS
- Mississippi Professionals Health Program. Advisor. 2013-present
- Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Society.
President-elect 2011-2013, President 2013-2015.
- Pascagoula Strategic Planning Committee. 2013-present.